Who owns Butler Greenwood Plantation?
Now the home of the seventh and eighth generation of the family, author Anne Butler and her daughter Chase Poindexter, Butler Greenwood is a simple, raised cottage-style plantation house filled with oil portraits, Brussels carpet, gilded pier mirrors, Mallard poster beds, fine china and silverware, a French Pleyel …
Who owns Greenwood Plantation in Louisiana?
Emily “Paddy” Vanderbilt Wade purchased 4,000 acres of the Greenwood Plantation from the Whitney family for $22 million.
Did Greenwood Plantation have slaves?
Introduction. This historic plantation dates back to the late 1700s. At its peak in 1860, it was home to nearly 100 slaves who produced sugar, as well as indigo and cotton.
What movies were filmed at Greenwood Plantation?
Greenwood Plantation has been the site for five subsequent movies: Drango (1957), Louisiana, (1984), North and South – Book I (1985), North and South – Book II (1986), and Sister, Sister (1987).
Who bought Greenwood Plantation Thomasville GA?
THOMASVILLE — Emily “Paddy” Vanderbilt Wade recently purchased 4,000-plus acres of Greenwood Plantation in Thomasville to include the Big Woods, a large tract of old-growth forest. Wade paid a little more than $22 million for the property.
When was the Greenwood Plantation built?
Greenwood Plantation was built in 1830 by William Ruffin Barrow in the Greek Revival style of architecture with 28 columns surrounding the mansion. It is considered the South’s finest example of classic colonial. The original house burned down in 1960 leaving behind just the columns and front steps.
What Plantation was used in Band of Angels?
Ashland-Belle Helene Plantation
It all began in 1957 with Band of Angels starring Clark Gable, Yvonne De Carlo, Efren Zimbalist Jr. and Sidney Poitier. It was filmed at the Ashland-Belle Helene Plantation in Geismar, Louisiana.
What house was resolute in the North and South?
After being struck by lightning in 1960, Greenwood Plantation was restored to its former glory by Walton and Richard Barnes. Featured in films including Louisiana and North and South.
What is the largest plantation in Thomas County?
Susina Plantation is an antebellum Greek Revival house and several dependencies on 140 acres (57 ha) near Beachton, Georgia, approximately 15 miles (24 km) southwest of the city of Thomasville, Georgia.
What Plantation was used as resolute in North and South?
Originally built in the 1830 by William Ruffin Barrow. After being struck by lightning in 1960, Greenwood Plantation was restored to its former glory by Walton and Richard Barnes. Featured in films including Louisiana and North and South.
What Plantation was resolute in North and South?
Resolute – Picture of Greenwood Plantation, Saint Francisville.