What is a meretricious ornamentation?
Attracting attention in a vulgar manner: meretricious ornamentation. b. Plausible but false or insincere; specious: made a meretricious argument. 2. Of or relating to prostitutes or prostitution: meretricious relationships.
How do you use chaste in a sentence?
- People in some religious orders remain chaste.
- In the past, a woman needed to be chaste to make a good marriage.
- Tess was a chaste young girl.
- He wrote in a chaste style.
- She led a chaste, decent life.
- She wore a chaste gold chain around her neck.
- She gave him a chaste kiss on the cheek.
How do you use negative connotation in a sentence?
By using a word with a negative connotation , Jenny’s graduation speech took an unpleasant tone. To make her excuse sound better, Alexandra used a word with a positive connotation . The word nasty has such a negative connotation ; you probably don’t want to use it when describing your sister-in-law.
Which sentence uses the negative connotation of the word cheap?
This means the sentence that uses the negative connotation of this word is “He always comes up with some cheap excuse to miss gym class” because in this sentence the word poor describes something that is inferior or has a low quality (negative connotation) rather than just describing something that has a low price.
What does meretricious persiflage mean?
Here’s a word that immediately communicates two things (to those who understand it): the discourse referred to is light, and the person speaking or writing is erudite. Thus, it is a high-toned means of blowing discourse away like dust. “Meretricious persiflage,” wrote D.H. Lawrence in Women in Love….
How do you use the word fatal in a sentence?
Use “fatal” in a sentence | “fatal” sentence examples
- The time that you are my most fatal.
- Her children’s death is a fatal blow on her.
- Fatal road accidents have decreased in frequency over recent years.
- This illness is fatal in almost all cases.
- He has not driven since his near fatal crash earlier this year.
What words are connotative?
Connotative Words: Examples
|Positive Connotation||Neutral Connotation||Negative Connotation|
Is ineffable positive or negative?
While the term ineffable most often has positive connotations, the term ineffable can also be used to describe overpowering negative emotions….
How do you use lachrymose in a sentence?
- He is better known for his lachrymose ballads than hard rock numbers.
- Lachrymose comedy represented an attitude opposed to the aristocratic one.
- Sad, moving scenes are an essential part of lachrymose drama.
- Maybe if you moved away from Lake Lachrymose you might feel better.
Which Cannot be described in words?
If something is so powerful or emotional that you can’t even describe it, it’s ineffable. Ineffable ideas and emotions are difficult to put into words. This word comes from the adjective effable, which means “something that can lawfully be expressed in words,” and isn’t used much anymore.
Which is the best example of a word with a negative connotation?
Answer: The best example of a word with a negative connotation within these options is chains. Explanation: Connotation refers to the understood emotional or cultural association that some word or phrase carries and triggers in most of the readers.
What does chased mean in English?
To follow rapidly in order to catch or overtake; pursue: chased the thief. 2. To follow (game) in order to capture or kill; hunt: chase foxes. 3. To seek the favor or company of persistently: chased me until I agreed to a date.
What is a haughty woman?
Someone who is haughty is arrogant and full of pride. When you’re haughty, you have a big attitude and act like you’re better than other people. A haughty person acts superior and looks down on others. Haughty people are disdainful, overbearing, prideful, swaggering, and obnoxious.
What is a negative connotation?
Negative connotation is a bad feeling or emotion that people get when hearing a specific word or phrase.
How do you live a chaste life?
10 Ways to Stay Chaste
- Get to know yourself before you get to know someone else.
- Be friends first.
- Discuss your boundaries before you start dating.
- Avoid tempting situations.
- Date with other people around.
- Keep your thoughts clean.
- Keep your dress and body language clean.
- Pay attention to what you read, listen to and watch.
How do you use ineffable in a sentence?
Ineffable in a Sentence 🔉
- The model’s beauty is ineffable and has everyone tongue-tied.
- When Jake saw his fiancée walking down the church aisle, he experienced an ineffable feeling.
- Obviously, my husband’s request for a divorce has left me in an ineffable mood.
What is a sentence for haughty?
Haughty sentence example. There was a soft note in the haughty woman’s voice. They described the natives as very proud and haughty . He was cold, haughty , melancholy and dull.
What’s chaste mean?
chaste, pure, modest, decent
How do you tell if a word has a positive or negative connotation?
Connotation is an idea or feeling that a word evokes. If something has a positive connotation, it will evoke warm feelings. Meanwhile, something with a negative connotation will make someone feel less than pleasant. To call someone “verbose” when you want to say they’re a “great conversationalist” may not convey that.
Which sentence has the most negative connotation the smell of food?
Answer: C. The oily odor of cooking food clung to my clothes.
What is the difference between pride and haughty?
Pride expresses a feeling about oneself, one’s associates, etc. without expressing anything negative about others. To be haughty, on the other hand, is a negative. Haughty people may or may not have anything in particular they are proud of, but they feel and/or behave in a manner suggesting others are inferior….
How do you use meretricious in a sentence?
Meretricious in a Sentence 🔉
- Because of Christie’s meretricious style of dressing, she has often been mistaken for a prostitute and has received a number of indecent proposals.
- If my mother-in-law didn’t decorate her house with so many meretricious knickknacks, it would be a more comfortable place to visit.
Is God ineffable?
Biblical Basis. As such God reveals himself as an ineffable mystery. God is known as the one who cannot be known. The name he gives to Moses, “I Am Who Am” (Ex 3:14), is a revelation, but it is also ineffable and incomprehensible. God “dwells in unapproachable light, whom no man has every seen or can see” (1 Tm 16).